BEEF STEW (Caldo de Res)
1 Pound beef chuck
1 Pound beef short ribs
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Teaspoons salt
2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
1 Onion, chopped
1 Can of diced tomatoes (14oz)
2 (32oz) of beef broth
4 cups water
2 chopped carrots
1 hand full of green beans
1 small cabbage chopped to bites size
2 corn cobs cut into 3’s
1 bunch of cilantro
- Cut chuck meat into 1 inch pieces, leave any bones on. Season the meat.
- In heavy pot over medium high heat until oil smokes. Add the meat and bones and brown on all sides.
- Chop Jalapeno in small dice and add to meat.
- Add chopped onion until lightly browned.
- Pour in can of diced tomatoes and stir.
- Add all you liquids, broth, water and let come to a boil then reduce to simmer for about 1 1/2 hour until meat is almost tender.
- Add carrots, chayote and green beans and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Add corn, zucchini, squash and cabbage. These should be in bite sizes for east eating. Cook for another 20 minutes.
- When meat and vegetables are tender, add chopped cilantro to bowl of soup.
Recipe By: Chef Fenya Konovaloff of Russian Doll Catering